What is the purpose of this service?
WIC is a food assistance program for Women, Infants, and Children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy.
Who can receive these services?
Women and their children who are:
· Pregnant, breastfeeding or just had a baby
· Infants and Children under 5 years old (including foster children)
· Families with a low to medium income
· Click on the WIC PreScreening Tool to find out if you might qualify for WIC benefits.
What services are offered?
WIC can provide:
· Special checks to buy healthy foods - like milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, dry beans or peas, and peanut butter
· Information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
· Information and help about breastfeeding
· Help in finding health care and other services in your area
How can I apply for WIC benefits?
Call the Hamilton County Health Department at 618-643-3522.
How can I apply to accept WIC at my store? (WIC Vendor)
If you are interested in accepting the special checks (WIC Food Instruments) at your store, information is available by calling the State WIC Office at 217-782-2166.
If you would like a toll-free option, you can call the DHS Helpline at 1-800-843-6154.